Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Shawn Farrell

Shawn Farrell is running for office. For a seat on the Seattle city council, to be exact. Being that I don't live in Seattle, I can't vote for him, but his run for office does effect me. As I'm sure anyone who is reading this will know, Shawn is a 4400. He has what is probably one of the most powerful abilities out of all of the 4400's, he can heal. He can heal any illness that any person may have, even if it's genetic, like Huntington's disease or Alzheimer's.

There are a lot of people out there who are afraid of the 4400; they look at them as 'freaks' who can only do harm to society. Now, with promicin on the streets, this fear has only been intensified. Not only are new people with abilities popping up, but the people who don't get abilities are dying when they try. If Shawn, a 4400, runs for office and wins then maybe he can help people get over their fears and the ignorance that perpetuates them.

I am promicin positive. I have a unique ability that I could probably use to help a great many people. When I took promicin, I wasn't aiming to save the world, I wasn't trying to transform myself into some sort of savior, I was trying to kill myself to save my family. But now I do have an ability, and I'm not a 'savior', but I certainly can help people that need helping. But with the laws that have been passed regarding promicin, I can't really do that. It's illegal for me to use my newfound talents. Sure, I could get some sort of dispensation from the government that would allow me to use my talents for their purposes, but as long as I'm working for the government (even a well intentioned government) there's the very high likely-hood that my talents are going to be misused.

I don't know if there's anything that Shawn Farrell can do to improve the current situation, even if he wins the election and takes office. Even if his run for office is well intentioned on his part, more than likely there's someone behind the scenes controlling him who's using him for their own purposes. But right now he's the only hope that I see in this horrible mess.

No comments: